New Delhi: External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar on Wednesday held telephonic talks with his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi and asserted that the need of the hour was for the Chinese side "to reassess its actions and take corrective steps".
In a candid talk, the Minister underlined that unprecedented development (Chinese actions at LAC) will have "a serious impact on the bilateral relationship".
"EAM (Jaishankar) conveyed the protest of the Government of India in the strongest terms on the violent face-off in Galwan Valley on 15 June 2020. He recalled that at the meeting of senior Military Commanders held on 6th June, an agreement was reached on de-escalation and disengagement along the Line of Actual Control (LAC)," an MEA statement said.
Jaishankar said that the ground commanders were meeting regularly to implement this consensus throughout the last week.
"While there was some progress, the Chinese side sought to erect a structure in Galwan valley on our side of the LAC. While this became a source of dispute, the Chinese side took premeditated and planned action that was directly responsible for the resulting violence and casualties. It reflected an intent to change the facts on ground in violation of all our agreements to not change the status quo," the statement said.
Dr Jaishankar underlined that the two sides should scrupulously and sincerely implement the understanding that
was reached by the Senior Commanders on 6th June.
"Troops of both sides should also abide by the bilateral agreements and protocols. They should strictly respect and
observe the Line of Actual Control and should not take any unilateral action to alter it. The State Councillor and Foreign Minister of China, on his part, conveyed the Chinese position on recent developments."
At the conclusion of the discussion, the MEA statement said it was agreed that the overall situation would be
handled in a responsible manner, and "both sides would implement" the disengagement understanding of 6 June
"Neither side would take any action to escalate matters and instead, ensure peace and tranquillity as per
bilateral agreements and protocols," the statement said.
On Tuesday also, the Modi government took an assertive diplomatic posture and decided to expose Chinese double standards by calling spade a spade.
Hours after "a violent face-off" between Chinese and Indian soldiers that resulted in casualties on both sides,
MEA spokesman Anurag Srivastava said: "Both sides suffered casualties that could have been avoided had the
agreement at the higher level been scrupulously followed by the Chinese side".
In a clear message, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Wednesday that the "supreme sacrifice of our Soldiers will not go in vain".
"Whatever be the situation and condition, India will firmly defend it's self-respect and fight for every inch of land which rightfully belongs to us", Modi said at the meeting with Chief Ministers convened to discuss Covid19 situation.
In the 'violent face off' 20 Indian soldiers including a commanding officer were martyred, but sources also
maintained that Chinese side also suffered casualties of its soldiers numbering around 50.
Meanwhile, 'Boycott Chinese products' campaign gained momentum across the country as Swadeshi Jagran Manch and CAIT urged the Centre to ban Chinese companies from government tenders and boycott China economically too.