India-China Faceoff: 20 Indian soldiers martyred, 43 casualties on Chinese side in violent clashes in Galwan area of Ladakh region

    17-Jun-2020   
Total Views |
 
s_1  H x W: 0 x
 
Indian Army has said that it is firmly committed to protecting the territorial integrity and sovereignty of the nation. In a statement, the Army said, Indian and Chinese troops have disengaged at the Galwan area where they had earlier clashed on Monday night.
 
“Indian and Chinese troops have disengaged at Galwan area where they had earlier clashed on the night of 15/16 June. 17 Indian troops who were critically injured in the line of duty at stand-off location,” Indian Army said in a statement.
 
“And exposed to sub-zero temperatures in the high altitude terrain have succumbed to their injuries, taking the total that were killed in action to 20. Indian Army is firmly committed to protect the territorial integrity and sovereignty of the nation,” it added.
 
Seventeen Indian troops who were critically injured in the line of duty at the standoff location and exposed to sub-zero temperatures in the high altitude terrain have succumbed to their injuries. Earlier, during the de-escalation process, one officer and two soldiers were martyred, taking the total that were martyred in action to 20. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh briefed Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the issue.
 
Indian intercepts of China have revealed that the neighbouring side suffered 43 casualties including dead and seriously injured in the face-off in the Galwan valley, news agency ANI reported, citing sources.
 
UN Secretary-General António Guterres has urged India and China to exercise maximum restraint. “We're concerned about reports of violence&deaths at Line of Actual Control between India&China & urge both sides to exercise maximum restraint. We take positive note of reports that 2 countries have engaged to deescalate the situation,” said Associate Spokesperson of United Nations secretary-general said.