Trump orders funding halt to WHO, as it failed in its basic duty,
orders reviews how the organisation managed the pandemic
New Delhi: "With the outbreak of the COVID-19, we have deep concerns about whether America's generosity has been put to the best use possible. The reality is that the WHO failed to obtain adequately, vet and share information in a timely and transparent fashion," says Donald Trump.
President Donald Trump ordered halting America's funding of up to USD 500 million annually to the World Health Organization. A review is likely to assess WHO role in "severely mismanaging and covering up" the spread of the deadly coronavirus when it first emerged in China.
The novel coronavirus, which originated in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in Hubei province in November, has so far killed at least 1,19,000 people globally, including more than 25,000 in the United States. It has spread across 175 plus countries.
According to observers the menace has badly hit the prospect of what was once seen as an 'easy re-election' chances for President Trump "The coronavirus crisis has exposed Trump as not being well-prepared and himself as not being a hard worker," said Matthew Barreto, a professor of political science and Chicano studies at UCLA (courtesy - cnbc.com)
The global coronavirus pandemic, according to experts, has exposed the dishonesty not only of the Chinese Communist Party but also of the World Health Organisation. It does not only talk about WHO, and many believe the successful staging of Chinese "tactics" has led to four UN agencies now led by Chinese nationals.
"China had been successful in pressing the world in calling the virus by its species name 'corona.' It is nothing but a triumph of its foreign policy. China never wanted that the vocabulary of this virus should carry the name of the country or the province- Hubei or Wuhan, as this would tarnish its brand name. This may result in general reluctance to buy Chinese goods....," wrote Dr Chandra Shekhar Sharma in 'Organiser'.
President Trump told reporters in Washington on Tuesday: "Today I am instructing my administration to halt funding of the World Health Organization while a review is conducted to assess the World Health Organization's role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus. Everybody knows what has gone on there".
It is worth mentioning that Trump and some of his trusted executives have lately accused the Geneva-based UN health body of taking side with China in the coronavirus outbreak crisis. The world's largest economy - that is American - has come to a standstill.
China contributes roughly USD 40 million a year and even less, the US President said. In contrast, of course, American taxpayers provide between USD 400 million and USD 500 million per year to the WHO. Reacting to Trump's remarks, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said now was "not the time" to be cutting resources for the WHO. China has been denying the charge and repeatedly said that any attempt to link this new virus to it is unfounded and irresponsible. "Some in the media say this coronavirus is a China virus. This is extremely irresponsible, and we firmly oppose that," Zhao Lijian, spokesman for the Chinese Foreign Ministry, said in March. "We are still tracing the origin of the virus, and there is no conclusion yet."
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to has sounded his displeasure at the functioning of WHO vis-à-vis coronavirus crisis. At the "Extraordinary Virtual G20 Leaders' Summit" convened by Saudi Arabia in March, PM Modi had suggested that there is utmost need to put the "human being rather than economic targets" at the centre of global or G-20 visions. Many say WHO continues to be based on the last century's model and also that it
was "not as effective as it could have been."