PM addresses the nation on the historic decisions over Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh; Assures the region will be free of terrorism and separatism
In a much awaited address to the nation, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that the recent decisions over Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh were done keeping in mind the best interests of the region and the state. In a nearly 40 minute address, the PM highlighted the pressing reasons that led to these decisions, the key among them being lack of development, employment opportunities, hegemony of a few families, denial of rights to the SC/STs and neglect of people's aspirations across the region.
Below are a few excerpts from the PM's address to the nation:
- I congratulate people of Jammu and Kashmir, Ladakh and the whole nation. When some things are their forever we presume they will never change or go away. Article 370 was something similar.
- The dream of Sardar Patel, Baba Saheb Ambedkar, Dr Syama Prasad Mukherjee, Atalji and of crores of patriots has been fulfilled.
- We as a nation, as a family, have taken a historic decision. A system due to which brothers & sisters of Jammu, Kashmir & Ladakh were deprived of many rights & which was a big obstacle to their development, that system has been done away with.
- There was never any discussion as to how Article 370 was adversely affecting the people of Jammu, Kashmir, and Ladakh. And it is surprising, no one was able to really tell how did the article benefit the people.
- In different states of the country sanitation workers come under the sanitation worker act, but workers from J&K were deprived of it. In many states strong laws are their to stop atrocities against dalits, but this was not the case in J&K.
- The decision to keep J&K directly under Central administration for a brief period was a well thought over decision. Since Governor rule was implemented in J&K, state admin has been directly in touch with Centre due to which the effects of good governance can be seen on ground.
- Jammu Kashmir and Ladakh have the potential to be the biggest tourist hub of the world. There was a time when Kashmir was the favorite destination of Bollywood film makers, I am confident that in future even international films will be shot there.
- Decades of dynasty rule in J&K prevented the youth from political leadership. Now my youth of J&K will lead the development work and take the region to new heights.
- You will be shocked, in J&K for decades, lakhs & thousands of people had right to vote in Lok Sabha polls but neither they could vote nor contest in assembly/local polls. These are those who came to India after partition in 1947. Should injustice have continued with them?
- I want to tell everyone, that any problem of people of J&K and Ladakh is also our problem. We are with them in their happy moments and their sad moments.
- Holy festival of Eid is also about to come. I wish everyone on this occasion. We are making sure that people in Jammu and Kashmir have no problem in celebrating Eid. Those from J&K who live elsewhere and want to go to J&K to celebrate the festival will be helped in it by us.
- I want to make it clear, your representative will be elected by you, your representative will come from amongst you... I have complete faith, under this new system we all will be able to free Jammu and Kashmir of terrorism and separatism.