Supreme court unanimously rules that Ram Janmabhoomi to be handed over to Hindus; Separate land to be given to Muslims
In a verdict that was waited with bated breath by everyone in the country, the 5-bench Supreme Court ruled that the Ram Janmabhoomi land to be entirley handed over to the central government, clearing the decks for the construction of Ram Mandir. It also ruled that a separate land of 5 acres be given to Muslims.
The judegement read out by CJI deliberated on the proofs and various suits filed by Nirmohi Akhada, Sunni and Shia WAKF boards. The CJI maintained that the suits by Nirmohi Akhada, Sunni WAKF board are limited.
SC also said that the right of Ram Lalla to the disputed property is subject to the maintenance of peace and law and order and tranquility. Government to take measures for maintaining peace and harmony and law and order. The Central Government has been directed to formulate a scheme in this regard within three months. A Board of Trustees must be set up for construction of temple.
SC clarified that the rights of Ram Lalla to the disputed property is subject to maintenance of law and order and communal harmony. Hence the judgement decreed the suit filed on behalf of the deity Ram Lalla, and partly decreed the suit filed by Sunni Waqf Board.
The key points from verdict:
- Supreme court unanimously rules that Ram Janmabhoomi to be handed over to Hindus
- Title cant be decided on faith and belief but on the claims
- Historical accounts indicate the belief of Hindus that Ayodhya was the birth place of Lord Ram. There is evidence to show that the Hindus had been visiting the premises prior to 1857.
- The Court held that the suit by Nirmohi Akhara was time barred.
- The findings of ASI report cannot be brushed aside as conjecture
- ASI reports show that the Babri Masjid was not built on a vacant land. The underlying structure was not of Islamic origin.
- There is evidence that Ram Chabutra, Sita Raoi was worhsipped by Hindu before British came.
- The faith of Hindus that the place is birth place of Lord Ram is undisputed.
- The Ram Janmabhoomi has no juristic personality. But Ram Lalla, the deity has juristic personality.
- The Suit by Sunni Waqf Board is maintainable and not barred by limitation.
- The Sunni Waqf Board has not been able to prove its possession on title suit.