The chief priest of the temple said the letter claimed that 'a bigger blast' would hit the temple again
Authorities of the Sankat Mochan Temple in Varanasi have received a letter threatening a bomb blast in the temple. The chief priest of the temple, Vishambhar Nath Mishra said the letter claimed that a bigger blast would hit the temple again. Against this backdrop, the security has been tightened in the area.
The Sankat Mochan Temple witnessed serial blasts on March 7, 2006. The explosion killed 21 people and injured more than a hundred people.
"We received a letter threatening a bomb blast in Sankat Mochan Temple in Varanasi. The letter said that bombings were carried out earlier in the temple and a bigger blast will happen again. We informed the police and handed over the letter to them. We are taking precautions and police is investigating the matter," Mishra told ANI on Wednesday.
Varanasi Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Anand Kulkarni told media that security has been tightened. "The letter had some names and a mobile number. Prima facie it appears someone may have done it to create trouble for the person named in the letter due to personal enmity. The temple is an important place in Varanasi, and we have tightened security in the area," Kulkarni said.